To contact coaches look under coaches in each individual sports.
Coaches must complete the requirements from below in order to be eligible to coach interscholastic athletics here at MHS:
All coaches, paid and volunteer, must turn in documentation showing the completion of the NFHS Fundamentals of Coaching course. To access and complete this course Fundamentals of Coaching Link. This must be completed prior to the first game.
Also every year ALL coaches are required to complete the NFHS Concussion in Sports course prior to the team’s first practice. This course must be completed after June 1. To access this course Concussion Course Link.
ALL paid coaches must be CPR and AED certified. MHS athletics runs several classes a year to make sure our coaches are CPR and AED certified.
Any volunteer coaches who are not paid must complete the Sudden Cardiac Arrest Course. To access this course Sudden Cardiac Arrest Link
On an annual basis head coaches (Football, Soccer, Volleyball, Basketball, Tennis, Cheerleading, Swimming, Wrestling, Track, Baseball, Softball, Golf) must attend a state sponsored rules interpretation clinic prior to the start of their season. Click HERE to view the available clinic sites, dates, and times. Coaches now are able to meet this requirement online.
*Cheerleading Coaches must also complete their AACCA Spirit Safety Certification. To access and complete this certification click the AACCA Spirit Safety Link
*Pole Vaulting Coaches must complete the coaching pole vaulting course. To access and complete this certification click the Coaching Pole Vaulting Link
Coaches Checklist Prior to each Season/Off season
- All coaches involved in your sport (paid or volunteer) have completed the fundamentals of coaching course and the yearly concussion course and or CPR/AED certification or Sudden Cardiac arrest before any workouts are conducted.
- All student athletes have turned in an up to date sports physical, concussion form, parent pledge, student pledge, discipline procedure form, and emergency contact form. (all of these forms are located on manteoathletics.com under the forms tab) (physicals and concussion forms have to be completed before off season workouts)(All other forms must be completed before first game/scrimmage) *You can make copies of student athletes’ forms if they have played a previous sport*
- Eligibility list has been completed for your sport prior to first contest/scrimmage. (work with Athletic Director, Athletic Trainer, and Attendance Coordinator to make sure student athletes are eligible)
- Coaches must have emergency contact forms filled out by each player and manager and must keep them with them at all times. (these must be done before first game/scrimmage)
- All coaches must conduct an in person parent meeting before their first scrimmage/game.
- During the season as per NCHSAA rule coaches must keep their maxpreps pages up to date. Schedules and results must be posted accurately or playoff forfeits can result. The following sports are mandated to keep maxpreps (Volleyball, Mens and Womens Soccer, Football, Baseball, Softball, Mens and Womens Basketball, Mens and Womens Tennis)
- Have an up to date medical kit that is at all practices, home games, and away games. (See Ms. Ruhle)
Each sport has specific dead periods in which there can be no workouts or practices. To check those dead periods you need to go to nchsaa.org. Click HERE to view the nchsaa calendar to check for dead periods.